Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring has sprung!

Can you believe this beautiful weather?  It's a great way to brighten up the days...and even the nights....with gorgeous sunshine, pretty pastel colors cropping up all around and temperatures that invite us to stay outside all day long!  It's awesome for the most part.  But of course, there is the not so awesome part.     
             ALLERGIES!                    
Itchy nose, watering eyes, scratchy throat, nagging head...UGH!  If only I could figure out how to avoid that part while spending every possible moment outside.  


While discussing this dilemma with a friend, I realized a few things.  First, I've heard that eating honey that is produced in one's local community, somehow helps our bodies fight off the allergens that cause so much discomfort.  Though I love honey on my hot buttered biscuit, I've never used it for much else besides an occasional marinade or glaze.  My friend and I were discussing that our grandparents used it to sweeten their coffee, in oatmeal, on their biscuit, making tea cakes and many more everyday foods.  Of course it's also a part of the old fashioned cold remedy they grew up on, too!  My friend stated his grandparents lived to be in their 90's.  I got to thinking about my grandparents especially my grandmothers.  I know my Mama Stults always had honey.  She almost lived to be 100.  My Grandmommy will be 89 in April and when she went to assisted living, she hid her honey in her night stand to keep the other residents from getting it.  :))  She's that protective of her honey!  


Just maybe there really is something to this honey.  I think I'm going to first find a local bee keeper and then figure out how I can add a spoonful of honey into my diet each day without eating the biscuit.  My waistline just can't take them both.   I'll let you know if I can tell a difference.  Meanwhile, let me know how you are handling this allergy season.   I hope to avoid the steroid shots because again, the waistline!  And I just realized, this mild winter and early spring will probably mean a bumper crop of poison oak/ivy too!  That's another allergy I could definitely do without. [sigh]  


Remember to visit my website at www.ilovetheshoals.com
For all of your real estate needs in Florence, Killen, Rogersville, Muscle Shoals, Sheffield, & Tuscumbia, AL.  Also serving Wayne & Lawrence Counties in Tennessee.  

Great deals on beautiful waterfront homes and lots on Wilson, Wheeler & Pickwick Lake on the gorgeous Tennessee River!  

No comments:

Post a Comment